Saturday, 6 February 2010

A baking day

I enjoy baking, especially if my children are helping. They get so much from helping to weigh ingredients, sifting and stirring, preparing tins, and scraping the bowl at the end!

Yesterday, I decided I'd like to make a Sticky Cake from a recipe given to me by my mother-in-law. This recipe requires mixed fruit to be soaked overnight in cold tea, so I prepared this in the afternoon with help from my son (weighing fruit) and daughter (eating 'spare' raisins).

Today, we finished the preparation and below is a photo of the finished product, with the recipe. It tastes delicious, and my father-in-law says it tastes even better spread with butter.



Sticky Cake

1 cup (5 oz) mixed dried fruit
1 cup (6 oz) soft brown sugar
1 cup cold black tea
1 egg
8 oz self-raising flour

Place fruit and sugar in the tea and leave to soak overnight. Stir in the flour and beaten egg. Pour into a lined loaf tin and bake for 1 hour, gas mark 4 (180 °C).

While we were waiting for this cake to bake, my son and I decided to bake some quick butterfly cakes. Except he decided after we'd baked them that he wanted to put icing on the top and sweets! That means the cake is a bit dense as a fairy cake, but still tasty! Here's a photo of the finished product and below it is the recipe, again from my mother-in-law.



Butterfly cakes

4 oz margarine
4 oz sugar
2 eggs
6 oz self-raising flour (for fairy cakes I would use 4 oz)
2 tsp milk

For the filling

2 oz margarine
6 oz icing sugar
1 tbsp milk

Cream margarine and sugar together. Beat in eggs one at a time. Fold in flour and add milk. Put into small cake cases and bake for 15-20 mins at gas mark 5 (190 °C). (This recipe gives 12 'large' cakes or about 18 small ones). Cut a 'circle' of cake from the top of each cake, cut this piece in half to make two 'wings' and fill the hole with buttercream. Replace 'wings'.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...