Wednesday, 17 February 2010

Why I signed The Letter To The Future

I hadn't heard about the RSPB's Letter To The Future campaign until I got involved in the Big Garden Birdwatch at the end of January. With a General Election due later this year, the campaign aims to bring wildlife to the attention of politicians around the UK.

The campaign's six objectives are:

1) To create a countryside fit for wildlife -- by asking the Government to fund projects to restore and protect habitats

2) To safeguard our sealife -- by creation of marine nature reserves

3) To stop extinction -- by asking the Government to do all it can to prevent loss of bird species in the UK's overseas territories

4) To save tropical forests -- by urging the Government to secure a global climate change agreement

5) To stop climate chaos -- by showing support for green industries, renewable energy, etc

6) To inspire children through nature -- by asking the Government to fund opportunities for children to enjoy nature

I have two young children and I want them to grow up in a pleasant environment and to be able to see the wildlife that I grew up spotting in the garden (how sad it would be if they never saw a sparrow). Those were my reasons for signing the Letter To The Future, and I hope you will do so to.

There is more information about the campaign on the RSPB's site (here).

3 comments:

  1. I totally agree with all the above points. Point six is especially pertinent given the work I'm doing in the area.

    I work for the Countryside Alliance Foundation and we're calling for outdoor learning to be included as an entitlement within the National Curriculum so all children have the chance to access nature.

    It time for Government to listen to what the teachers and the children want. Based on our latest research:

    85% of 6 to 15 year olds want to enjoy countryside activities through school
    97% of teachers think learning about the countryside is important in the curriculum
    Only 47% of children went to the countryside in 2008, despite the Learning Outside the Classroom being in place since 2006 - a Govt initiative promising to give all kids the chance to experience outdoor education.
    60% of children feel they don't know enough about the countryside.

    We believe its time for change and will be launching our outdoor education campaign in March. To find out more and keep up to date with developments please feel free to follow my Twitter - charleymay1.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was interested to read your comment. My daughter is very lucky in that her school have developed a woodland classroom. The children will really enjoy this new and novel learning environment, and I'm looking forward to my daughter coming home and telling me all about it!
    Its such a shame that this experience, or similar, is not part of the National Curriculum.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comments. I'm interested in the stats about children and the countryside. We're lucky because we live in a rural area and the school is next to fields, so countryside walks are a regular event.

    However, the Learning outside the Classroom initiative doesn't actually mean children are getting out into the outdoors, more typically they are sitting under a shelter in the playground reading or painting (in our experience).

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...