Thursday, 15 April 2010

Neighbours...

...everybody needs good neighbours, tra la la.

I'm a bit cross tonight so I am writing a rant to let off steam!

Our neighbours only moved in a few months ago and they've managed to annoy me three times so far.

First, the bloke played really loud movies every evening for a week until I finally went round to speak to him. (Noise is much better now.)

Second, they kept blocking my car in the carport by parking in front (although they moved it straightaway when asked and haven't done it for a while).

Third, they seem unable to grasp the concept of recycling, so every week they put their general waste bin out (which only gets emptied every 2 weeks) therefore ending up with extra bags of rubbish. Most people would ring the council to get a recycling bin or take the extra to the tip, but not these guys.

Tonight, they decided to put the extra bags in a neighbour's and my bin. This is not so bad, we ourselves have done this, but when we did it it was on the morning of the collection when the bins probably wouldn't have anything else added and we made sure the lids could close. They not only did it in the early evening but also left the lids open and the bags over the top of the bin, meaning the binmen might not collect the bin.

Complete numpties.

Fortunately, I noticed this had happened because I had to put a late bag out. Makes me grumpy that I had to stand there forcing their rubbish down so I could fit mine in.

I take care to keep our waste level down, and feel quite proud that with four of us in the house (one who wears nappies) we can sometimes only produce a few bags of rubbish because we recycle. If our council were to introduce pay-as-you-go waste collection I would hope they would take into consideration this sort of neighbourly behaviour and hope there is a mechanism to prevent it.

Not only that, but the council should be under pressure to ensure all households are recycling as much as they can. It's not difficult these days to recycle either: my poor parents have various bags and boxes and must separate their recycling for collection, but ours is all collected in the same bin.

Anyway, rant over, thanks for listening, and if you are reading this and you recognise yourself as my neighbour, DON'T DO IT AGAIN!

3 comments:

  1. I think it might be a good idea to talk to your neighbours! It's not the kind of thing you want to leave until it gets out of hand. Our neighbour is happy for us to use her bin, but like you say, on the day of the collection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recognise myself as your 'poor'parents!
    However,I am appalled that people do not recycle, when we go to so much trouble to separate our waste and also to compost much of our waste.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's amazing how much your non-recyclable bin waste reduces when you get little ones out of nappies.

    But as for the neighbours, they sound like idiots. People don't seem to realise there is such a thing as (for want of a better phrase) 'civic duty' and they should do their upmost for recycling, otherwise it makes them anti-social (in the context of society and not obnoxiousness).

    That could all have been better phrased, but I hope you get the idea.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...