Thursday, 30 September 2010

Am I a Twitterholic?

I've been tagged in a meme about Twitter by Him Up North. (He's obviously a faster runner than me.) Kate at The Five Fs Blog started this meme; she loves Twitter and was interested to read about other tweeters' habits.

I don't consider myself addicted to Twitter. OK, there are periods when I check my tweets daily, and refresh them at an alarming rate (API limit anyone?). But there are also times when I lose my Twitter mo-jo as my sister calls it. Life catches up and I am so busy I don't have time to do anything other than chores and work. A little Twitter holiday does me the world of good. But then of course, I tweet for Britain when I'm back! There is nothing worse though than being away somewhere with no Internet connection and really wanting to tweet (Silverstone this year being a prime example).

When did you join Twitter?
May 26, 2009.

Why did you join Twitter?
I'm a fan of Formula 1 and I was subscribed to Brawn GP's e-newsletter. They kept going on about following them on Twitter for news and competitions so I eventually caved in. My sister (@helen_harrison) was already on Twitter so I knew a bit about it from her.

Who is/was your first or oldest follower? Who did you follow first? Tell me all about them.
The person I followed first was Brawn GP, they were really interactive and great tweeters. The account has since changed to Mercedes GP and I unfollowed them when they went all corporate on me. My next few followers were family and friends (see below), David Mitchell, and Jake Humphrey.

My first three followers were my sister, an old friend (@fidge), and a friend from Church who now torments me on Wednesday evenings by making me do ab crunches, star jumps, and squats (@pete_luxford). The first person who followed me who I didn't know was @tomdringer, who I still follow and chat with.

Do you have any celebrities following you, or have you ever had a DM from a celeb?
No super-celebrities, but I am followed by Jonathan Summerton (@jsummerton), who is an American racing car driver (he's raced in A1GP, Formula 3, Formula BMW, and Indy). He's a celeb to me as a motorsport fan! There's also Justin Pollard (@justinpollard), who's a QI elf. I won a copy of his latest book, so we have chatted.

I've not had any celeb DMs (other than from Jonathan and Justin), but I've had @ mentions from Karun Chandhok (F1 driver), Neil Cole (comedian who presents WRC coverage on Dave), Prof Brian Cox (about creationism!), Jessica Michibata (Jenson Button's girlfriend), Katie Fforde (my favourite author), and a RT from Jake Humphrey. And I had a tweet featured on the BBC F1 website. (Well I think that's pretty cool.)

If you could follow anyone not on Twitter – alive, dead, real or fictional – on Twitter, who would it be?
I'd love to follow Jane Austen. And how cool would it be to read a twitter conversation between Mr Darcy and Elizabeth Bennett? Well cool, that's what. In fact that's my novel idea and I hereby patent it. One day I shall write all my novels. I have several running wild in my head.

I'd also like to follow my dad because I don't see him much, we live a long way apart and he's not a fan of the phone. My mum's on Twitter and we chat a lot.

Which came first? Twitter or blog?
Twitter. I started blogging on September 12th 2009. I followed a few blogs and saw people tweeting about theirs and I just decided to give it a go. I see it a bit like a diary really. It's a great way to express myself when 140 characters just won't do.


So that's it. Hope you enjoyed this little insight into my Twitter habit. Am I a twitterholic? You can let me know what you think in the comments.

Apparently I need to tag some people to continue the meme so here goes:

Caron (Caron's Musings), a Lib-Dem activist tweeting about politics, F1, and Strictly Come Dancing!

Deb (Carrots and Kids), because I think she's awesome :)

Jo (Fantails and Fibrolite), my oldest friend, my daughter's godmother, she emigrated to New Zealand and writes the most amazing blog about renovations, living the Good Life, and her travels (check it out!).

Emma (Mummy Musings), another favourite blogger and Twitter friend.

4 comments:

  1. Yay! Thanks for doing the meme. Nice sleb tweet record. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How appropriate that you should write something so positive at the same time as Nadine Dorries has made a scathing, ill informed and deeply unpleasant attack on Twitter. I know it kept me from sinking into a deep depression when I was stuck at home ill for so many months and I think it's great that I've got to know some really good people across the airwaves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still haven't signed up to Twitter, nor Facebook. The way I see it, the computer takes up too much of my time as it is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Caron for posting your reply to my tag. Check it out here: http://carons-musings.blogspot.com/2010/10/Twitter-and-me.HTML

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...