Tuesday, 26 October 2010

Spooky cakes

It's half term this week and I'm in need of ideas to keep my children entertained. One of my favourite things to do with them is baking. It's not too messy, quick, and simple, with yummy end products!

With Halloween coming at the end of half term, we decided to make fairy cakes and decorate them spookily. We first made chocolate buns according to this recipe from my mother-in-law.

Chocolate sponge pudding cake

6oz butter, sugar, & self-raising flour
3 eggs
2oz cocoa
Milk
Vanilla extract

Cream butter & sugar together, gradually add beaten eggs. Sift flour and cocoa and fold in with 2 drops vanilla. Add 1 tbsp milk (or more) to get a batter that drops off the spoon. Either cook in a greased tin or spoon into muffin or fairy cake cases. Cook at 180 degrees for 15 mins (buns) or 25 mins (large cake). A large cake might need longer than this time, but if sponge springs back when pressed it is done.

We left the buns to cool, then made some glacé icing with 250g icing sugar and a couple of tbsps of water. We coated each bun and left to set.

With icing pens we decorated the buns with spooky designs (or rather I did and the kids ate taster buns!).







Now all that's left to do is settle down with a cup of tea and my own taster bun!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

3 comments:

  1. I'm very impressed with those spider webs

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look great, I'm sure they tasted great too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments. I was very impressed with my spiderwebs too! The buns didn't taste great, but the kids loved them!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...