Thursday, 18 November 2010

Letters to Father Christmas

I always get a bit nervous as Christmas approaches. It's not just the expense I worry about, I get concerned about meeting my children's expectations. Christmas is such a magical time and I would hate to mistakenly do something to upset them. Just imagine if Father Christmas brought the "wrong" present on Christmas Eve!



Sending a letter to Father Christmas is the traditional way for children to make their requests. But how should I manage this with young children? Should I just let them get on with it by themselves; make suggestions and drop hints, steering them towards an idea I think they would like; give them the Argos catalogue; or just simply ask them what they'd like?

Since early September, my 5-year-old son has gradually started to take an interest in the toy adverts on TV. "Oooh mummy I really need that! Oh I'd LOVE that for Christmas!" After a few weeks of listening to his pleas, my husband created a Word document for him on his area on the computer, and every time he saw something he liked he would add it to this document. He would even add things he hadn't seen, such as "Doctor Who lego" (Dear Lego, this would be a great range!)

October half-term is our traditional time to write our letters to Father Christmas. With our Word document to hand, I thought it would be easy for my son to write his letter. However, little did I realise how long his list had got! "Sweetheart, we really need to cut this list down, Father Christmas can't carry so many toys". We decided to choose just two things off his list. I was proud to see him choose two small gifts. He carefully wrote his letter, drew some lovely pictures, and coloured it in for Father Christmas.

But, how to find out what my 2-year-old daughter would like? She can communicate very well, so I simply asked her.

"Potatoes" she promptly replied.

"No darling, mummy will buy potatoes, what would you like to play with?"

"Cheese."

"No food darling, what toy would you like?"

"Balls."

"Balls? What sort of balls?"

"Jam balls. Yummy."

I decided to make suggestions. "What about a dolly?"

"Yes, I'd love a dolly."

"How about sparkly shoes?"

"Yes, I love sparkly shoes!"

I was reminded suddenly of the scene from Father Ted, when Father Ted asks Father Dougal what his three wishes would be, and Dougal gets really excited and says he wants whatever Ted says. "Oh God yes I'd love to be a rockstar like Elvis!" I spent most of the afternoon chuckling to myself about that.



So tomorrow, I shall write to Father Christmas on behalf of my little girl, requesting balls and perhaps some sparkly shoes. And I will chuckle to myself, and think about what a great Christmas we'll have.

What the heck is a "Jam Ball"?

2 comments:

  1. I must admit that your daughter's wishes made me giggle a lot! So hilarious :-) Do you post the letter to Father Christmas as well? When I was a kid, I sometimes posted it and sometimes my parents left it somewhere in the garden "where the elves would come and find it."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kati, yes we usually post the letter. The Royal Mail have an address to send them to, and they supposedly send a reply from Father Christmas although we didn't get one last year.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...