Monday, 21 February 2011

Music and memories

It's been a wet and dreary start to half-term. The kids and I managed to get out this morning to the shops before the rain started, so we have had some fresh air at least.

The best way to spend a rainy day from my kids' point of view is to get ALL the Lego out and build lots of cars and towers. For me, the best solution is to stick iTunes on loud and clean the house.

There are several songs on my "happy place" playlist that remind me of events and people. Ashes by Embrace reminds me of when Jenson Button won his first Grand Prix of the 2009 season (the year he went on to win the World Drivers Championship).

Gratuitous Jenson Button photo  (image from telegraph.co.uk)

Gangsters Paradise by Coolio reminds me of my first year at university (I think every student I met owned a copy of that single).

And Valerie by The Zutons reminds me of my daughter and the holiday we had in Florida with The Family (aka, The In Laws) when she was 16 months old.

She did this a lot...
Whenever my daughter cried, The Family would burst force with a loud rendition of Valerie, replacing "Valerie" with her name (which fits quite well). They emphasised the "ginger hair" line, and it always cheered her up. And we still sing it to her now, and she still laughs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...