Thursday, 10 March 2011

Heart attack-inducing chocolate chunk brownies

It's my husband's birthday today, the old man is 34 yet still gets ID'd for beer. Anyway, for a month, he's older than me, so he gets painful reminders. Like anti-ageing cream and an old-man hotwater bottle for presents, for example ;)

I wanted to bake him a cake, but I doubt even he can eat a whole one (and I won't help him eat it at the moment). My mum sent me a recipe for chocolate brownies; I loved them as a child, so I thought I'd make them. Here's the recipe.

Chocolate Chunk Brownies

Makes 16

125g unsalted softened butter, plus extra for greasing
200g dark chocolate (minimum 70% cocoa solids), chopped into small pieces
275g light muscavado sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 large free range eggs, beaten
100g plain flour
2 tbsp cocoa powder, plus extra for dusting

1. Preheat the oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4. Grease and line a 20cm square cake tin with baking paper. Put half the chocolate into a heatproof bowl, set over a pan of simmering water and melt. Remove the bowl from the heat and allow to cool a little while you make the mixture.
2. Put the butter in a large mixing bowl and, using a wooden spoon or electric hand mixer, beat until soft and creamy. Add the sugar and vanilla extract, then continue beating until soft and fluffy.
3. Gradually beat in the eggs, then sift over the plain flour and cocoa. Pour in the melted chocolate and stir everything together thoroughly. Stir in the remaining chopped chocolate pieces, then pour the mixture into the prepared tin.
4. Bake for 25-30 minutes until just firm to the touch, but still soft and gooey in the centre. Leave to cool in the tin (they will continue to cook as they cool) then transfer to a board, using the paper to lift them out. Dust with more cocoa powder and cut into squares. Eat warm or at room temperature.

Heart attack-inducing, yet so tasty. My son ate one, my husband managed two (I sneaked a corner that "fell off").

There are 12 left; who wants one?


3 comments:

  1. You are so good! I don't know how you could make those and not eat any.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since I know exactly how much butter went into them, it's quite easy! I did lick the melted chocolate bowl after though (tell no-one!).

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...