Thursday, 31 March 2011

Losing weight the Sog way

Today was my weekly weigh-in, and I lost another 5 lb. This loss means my BMI is finally back in the "ideal" range, at just over 24. It also means I've lost 34 lb since I started dieting and running at the beginning of January. And I've dropped two dress sizes (at least!).

Someone asked me today how I continue to have such good weight loss several months after I started dieting and running. Surely weight loss begins to slow down after you've lost a lot of weight?

I think there are several reasons.

First, we all know the adage "muscle weighs more than fat". So, as you exercise more then weight loss will tail off because you're building muscle. That's right, yes? Well, I've spent the past 2 years building up core strength and muscle tone at circuit training. So I already have muscle lurking under my fat! So maybe that's it.

Second, I work out damn hard. I run four times a week (Tuesday and Thursday nights with my local running club and Saturday AM and Sunday PM on my own). I don't just run a couple of miles at a leisurely pace. I run between 4 and 5 miles, at a pace around 10 min 30 s per mile (slightly obsessive about pace!) And I still go to circuit training once a week :)

Third, my diet's changed a lot. I don't drink alcohol at all (except for special occasions or if it's Sunday night and I'm peed off because I just injured myself...). I don't eat bread anymore because it's high calorie (130 kcal a slice, in addition to spread and whatever else you're eating with it). Bear in mind, I used to eat so much toast before January! Toast for breakfast, perhaps a toasty for lunch, toast as a snack while I was working (I love toast). I don't eat cheese, biscuits, cakes, sweets, chocolate, ice cream, or crisps either. No snacking! If I'm hungry between meals I tend to have a drink...

I've made changes or added things to my diet too. I eat a lot more fish than I used to, which is low calorie and a good source of protein. I eat lots more fruit and veg, but not as much potato. I always eat breakfast, and I try to have carbs for lunch instead of dinner, especially if I'm running later that day. For dinner I might have homemade soup or a salad, nothing too heavy. If I'm on a rest day then I eat with the family but have a small portion.

This plan suits me and my lifestyle well, based on my exercise and home routine. It might not suit you. I hope though it might give you some ideas and help you towards your weight loss goals.

Thanks for reading. Please leave a comment if you have any tips to share.

3 comments:

  1. I had to check how much 34 lbs was in kilos and almost fell off my chair when I found out! That's incredible achievement in a few months' time! Have you hit your target now or are you going to keep up losing weight still?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're doing really well, Sarah and an inspiration to many. Do you have a target weight? I don't want you to waste away. Dad and I are being strict about our eating now because of high BP and cholesterol levels. We're not on a diet, just following the healthy eating guidelines which the doctor gave us. I lost 5lbs recently I think over 2 weeks. Nothing like your weight loss but I'm quite happy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Kati Thanks, I'm continuing to lose weight, just at a slower rate now. Probably another 18 lb.

    @Mum According to Wii Fit, I ought to weigh 9st 6lb. I'm aiming to lose another stone, and I'll see how I get on with that.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...