Sunday, 20 March 2011

My musical history

I admitted to a Twitter follower recently that I have a secret love for Katy Perry. This admission made me realise how much my music tastes have changed over the years.

When I was 11, I asked for a Walkman for Christmas. My parents bought me the best one around at the time, with cassette player AND a radio. Whoop.

I loved those equaliser switches, no idea what they did.

Sadly, I was a bit limited in music tastes and I asked for a Wet Wet Wet tape to go with it (Memphis Sessions - 1988).

By the time I was 13, I had discovered Radio 1 and music my parents didn't like. Me and my sister were masters of the mix tape (pause and record). The Walkman had been replaced by a series of "portable" radio cassette/CD players (portable in that they had handles and you could make them work outside if you put 8 'D' batteries in them).

Around this time I spent a summer working for my dad and earned (in 6 weeks) the grand total of £30, part of which I spent on a KLF album (The White Room - 1991) and Boss Drum (1992) by The Shamen.

The rest I took with me to my first music festival. My Church youth group leader agreed to take me, my sister, and our friend Mel to Greenbelt. Here began my indie/rock/grunge phase, which included bands such as The Levellers, Why?, and Eden Burning. I went to Greenbelt throughout the 90s; the highlight was seeing Moby live in 1995, totally awesome (he was VERY rocky at Greenbelt, surprised many people because he was best known for Go, but I loved him).

From 1993, I was studying for A Levels, working at Millets, and spending too much time in Our Price. I was buying Blur, Oasis, Pulp, Elastica, etc and sitting in fields listening to local bands. I wasn't cool enough for the Madchester bands (although I secretly liked The Stone Roses) but I fell hard for Britpop.

In 1995, I moved to Leeds and discovered that, despite going to clubs back home, I knew NOTHING about dance music. I realised that I actually didn't like nightclubs, and I retreated into 70s and 80s music, forming into a love for Brutus Gold's Love Train (70s night) and Top Banana (80s music). I also discovered Jazzy Keks in Blackburn, and began to shun mainstream nightclubs for small seedy places where I could dance the night away to The Jacksons.

After graduating and moving to London, my music tastes didn't change (I rarely went clubbing, but if I did I preferred the cheesier clubs). I liked chart music, whatever was on the radio really. Radio One's Live Lounge has educated me recently, and I highly recommend the Live Lounge CDs. My particular favourites are Florence and the Machine's cover of Halo, and Ironik's version of Tiny Dancer (both on Live Lounge 4).

Nowadays, I'm listening to Heart FM and being influenced by music I have to work out to on Wednesday nights (too weakened to resist). So that includes Lady Gaga, Black Eyed Peas, and Rihanna, and my current favourite: Dynamite by Taio Cruz.

But, I'm claiming Katy Perry for my own.

Seriously, what's not to love about Katy, hmm?
During the writing of this blog post, I listened to Dynamite six times and California Gurls twice.

1 comment:

  1. This post has been a trip down memory lane for me - Sony Walkman with a radio, Our Price records and the KLF....

    (And hello from another Bedfordshire blogger!)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...