Monday, 13 June 2011

Cabbage and potato soup

Today's lunch is Cabbage and potato soup, a dish I adapted from a recipe on the BBC Good Food website. Here's the recipe if you would like to try it yourself.

Cabbage and Potato soup

Serves 4

1 stick of celery, chopped roughly
1 onion, chopped roughly
2 carrots, diced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
450 g potatoes, small dice
1 L vegetable stock (I used 4 tsp Swiss vegetable bouillon powder)
1 savoy cabbage, thick stalks and core removed, sliced thinly

Place the celery, carrot, garlic, and potatoes into a large pan and cover with the stock. Bring to the boil and simmer for about 15 mins until all the vegetables are tender. Blitz with a hand blender until fairly smooth. Add the savoy cabbage and simmer until just tender. Check seasoning and divide into four portions.

I froze this soup so it's available for an easy lunch. The Good Food website suggests serving with grilled bacon on top, which sounds lovely and would provide extra protein (but extra fat too!).

Per serving:
133 calories
29 g carbohydrate
1 g fat
4 g protein

It's simply delicious, and very healthy. I haven't used any oil in the recipe, although if you wish you could fry the vegetables in a little olive oil to soften them before adding the stock (I don't see the point of adding fat).

If you try this recipe please let me know in the comments how it turns out and if you liked it.

1 comment:

  1. Some fats are good for you remember. I use a little rapeseed oil if I'm stir frying.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...