Tuesday, 26 July 2011

Flapjacks: a recipe

Some of my fondest childhood memories are of baking with my mum. She used to bake every week, or at least it felt like that as a child. I loved currant buns (fairy cakes for you Southerners), rock cakes, tea loaf, gingercake, chocolate sponge with buttercream filling (*drool*), but my favourite has to be flapjacks. Each batch of these treats varied, from soft chewy middle pieces to crunchy edge bits.

When I worked in London I used to make flapjacks to take to work and they always disappeared very quickly. My Northern compatriots reminisced fondly of "proper flapjacks" (and then we'd inevitably discuss parkin recipes...).

So here's the recipe. I hope you make some and enjoy them as much as I do.

Flapjacks

Makes about 15


 
1) Preheat the oven to 180C (I have a fan oven and I reduce to about 165C), that's gas mark 4 or 350F.
2) Line a shallow baking tray with greaseproof paper and lightly oil it; the tray I use is 8x12x1 inches.
3) Weigh out your ingredients:
  • 120 g butter or margarine
  • 120 g soft brown sugar (I used dark brown but light would be OK)
  • 90 g golden syrup
  • 250 g rolled oats
4) Melt the butter, sugar, and syrup in a large pan over a low heat. Keep stirring and don't let it boil.
5) Once melted, remove from the heat and gradually stir in the oats. I sometimes add another handful of oats if the mix looks too runny.
6) Place the mixture in the baking tray and press down to fill to the edges. I always think about now that I've not make enough mixture, but if you press for long enough it does fill the tray!


7) Bake for 20 min until golden.
8) Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the tin for 10 min.
9) Cut into squares and leave in the tin until cool before turning out.
10) Enjoy (preferably with a cup of tea)!

For those of you watching your diet, I've calculated each piece is about 164 calories (7 g fat, 23 g carbs, 2 g protein).

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...