Sunday, 4 September 2011

Zesty lemon buns

My family love lemon cake, and would happily devour Mr Kipling's lemon slices daily if I let them. Since I found this recipe, they've stopped requesting Mr Kipling and pester me to bake some of these buns instead. (Sorry Mr Kipling.)

Zesty lemon buns

125 g granulated sugar (or caster sugar, if you're organised and remember to buy it)
125 g reduced fat butter spread (I used an olive spread for these, works fine; you can use unsalted butter if you prefer)
zest of 2 lemons
2 eggs
125 g self-raising flour, sifted
2 tbsp lemon juice (I use the juice from one of the zested lemons, slightly more than 2 tbsp)

  • Preheat your oven to 180C (160C for a fan oven).
  • Cream the sugar, butter, and lemon zest together until light and fluffy. 
  • Beat the eggs and add to the mixture gradually, with a tablespoonful of the measured flour (to avoid curdling). 
  • Fold in the rest of the sifted flour and then add the lemon juice (the mixture goes foamy, almost like a mousse, at this stage).
  • Spoon the mixture into bun cases. The recipe says makes 12 but I got 20 from the mixture. (Why make 12 massive cakes when you can share the joy further and make 20 small buns?)
  • Cook in the oven for 18-20 minutes (check them after 18 minutes).
  • Allow to cool on a wire rack, then ice them with lemon glacé icing.

Lemon glacé icing

185 g icing sugar
2 tbsp lemon juice

  • Sift the icing sugar into a bowl and gently stir in the lemon juice. You might need more lemon juice (you could use the juice from the other zested lemon but I like my icing smooth, without lumps of lemon pulp).
  • Blob a spoonful of icing onto each bun and leave to set for about an hour (if you can wait that long).

Voilà! Check out my zesty buns.

I ate the one without icing :(

2 comments:

  1. They look delicious! Must try this out :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are delicious! Thanks! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...