Tuesday, 4 October 2011

Sausages: a rant

I'm sometimes a bit dense. Or perhaps the word is unimaginative. I buy sausages and grill them and that's usually it. Forgetting what's actually inside, surrounded by not much.

So, I had sausages in the fridge, but my son was seemingly desperate for "bolognaise with spaghetti". And then I remembered BBC Good Food website and a recipe I'd seen once for sausage meatballs. "Oh yeah, you can take the skin off" *d'oh*

So, last night I made sausage meatballs with tomato sauce. The recipe:

Serves 4

Pack of 8 sausages, skin removed.

Squish the sausage meat together then form into olive-size balls. I got 40 from my pack. Fry them gently until golden then drain and reserve for later.

2 tins of chopped tomatoes (400g)
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 tsp dried oregano
2 tsp dried basil
1 veg Oxo cube
Worcestershire sauce
Salt and pepper
1 tbsp lemon juice

Fry the onion and garlic in a little spray oil until golden, add the herbs and the crushed Oxo cube, salt and pepper, stir to combine. Add the tomatoes and Worcestershire sauce, stir, and simmer gently for about 30 mins. 15 mins in, add the sausage meatballs to warm through.

After about 30 mins taste the sauce to check for seasoning. I found the sauce to be very oily tasting and claggy (technical term) so I added some lemon juice, which helped break up that oil and freshen the sauce. Add that if you like, it's OPTIONAL!!

Cook some spaghetti, and if you've forgotten about your calorie intake, cook some garlic bread too. Yay! Tasty dinner.

My kids LOVED this recipe. And hubs did too, which is always a bonus.

About 300 cals per serving (just the meatballs and sauce).

3 comments:

  1. I do a lovely pasta dish with sausages, that was also once in a BBC Good Food magazine. It involves skinning the sausages and frying them so they go like mince and adding dijon mustard, creme fraiche, crushed chillies, lemon juice and basil. It might sound disgusting but it's absolutely delicious. And you also cook peas in with the pasta.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh Caron, that sounds delicious :) Thanks, I'll add that to my growing stack of recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nigel Slater once did a recipe with sausages and pasta, but I've lost the recipe. My BBC Good Food book has a recipe for sausage and leek hash which is really good, but probably has lots of calories.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...