Monday, 12 December 2011

12 days of fitness: a challenge

In the run up to Christmas, my friend Pete (a personal trainer who leads the running club I go to and the circuit class I also attend) is setting his PT clients and Twitter and Facebook followers a 12 days of fitness challenge. I'm going to take part and update this blog daily with the challenges and results.

Day 1
Hold a plank for as long as you can.

My time: 1:44.

Day 2
1 minute of tricep dips.
Hold a plank for as long as you can.

26 dips and 1:50 plank. Ouch!

Day 3
1 minute of bodyweight squats
1 minute of tricep dips.
Hold a plank for as long as you can.

50 squats, 39 dips (found a better place at home to do these), and 1:31 plank. Bit wobbly now.

Day 4
1 minute abdominal crunches
1 minute of bodyweight squats
1 minute of tricep dips.
Hold a plank for as long as you can.

52 crunches, 56 squats, 40 dips, 1:02 plank.
My legs are feeling sore now (I've also run 5 miles today) and my shoulders are starting to feel the dips. But, really enjoying the challenge.

Day 5
1 minute running on the spot
1 minute abdominal crunches
1 minute of bodyweight squats
1 minute of tricep dips.
Hold a plank for as long as you can.

58 crunches, 59 squats, 42 dips, 1:26 plank.
Look at me go beating yesterday's times! Unsure if this is due to the lateness I did the challenge (I usually remember to do it after I've just eaten) or whether I'm especially awesome today. Anyway, my shoulders and triceps are really hurting and my legs shake everytime I stand up. This can only be a good thing. Oh, and a run tomorrow morning. That will be fun.

Day 6
1 minute press ups
1 minute running on the spot
1 minute abdominal crunches
1 minute of bodyweight squats
1 minute of tricep dips.
Hold a plank for as long as you can.

30 press ups (10 full, 20 3/4), 55 crunches, 58 squats, 33 dips, 1:04 plank. I've also run 6 miles today, so I'm a bit achey and sore.

Day 7
Hold a side plank for a long as you can (alternate sides daily)
1 minute press ups
1 minute running on the spot
1 minute abdominal crunches
1 minute of bodyweight squats
1 minute of tricep dips.
Hold a plank for as long as you can.

I missed today because of family commitments.

Day 8
1 minute of back extensions (not to be counted or rushed)
Hold a side plank for a long as you can (alternate sides daily)
1 minute press ups
1 minute running on the spot
1 minute abdominal crunches
1 minute of bodyweight squats
1 minute of tricep dips.
Hold a plank for as long as you can.

Right side plank 1:13, 25 press ups (7 full), 47 crunches, 56 squats, 32 tri dips, plank 1:06.

2 comments:

  1. This website shows the plank quite well. If you can't manage a full plank, try a modified one, resting your knees and lower legs on the floor.

    http://exercise.about.com/od/abs/ss/abexercises_10.htm

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...