Tuesday, 14 February 2012

Valentine's Schmalentine's

I'm not especially romantic and I'm uncomfortable with overt affection. I attribute this feeling to embarrassment and disappointment from previous Valentine's days!

I remember when I was 5 and 6 sending my dad a card. Me and my sister would make it ourselves and draw a stamp on and then laugh and tell him the postman had come early. So very lovely and so much fun.

When I was 7 we moved to a new school. I received -- in the middle of class -- a Valentine's card from a boy, which I was so embarrassed about I ripped in half in front of him (he was mortified). Similarly, when I was 8 I received a card from a different boy in similar circumstances. I gave it to my friend to hide my embarrassment. He was also upset. (I'm a heartless bitch.) I started to fear Valentine's day after that!

At age 11, 12, and 15 I sent the same boy at school a Valentine's card, more through peer-pressure because my other friends were sending cards. He teased me so much about the last one I vowed never to send another card.

That never stopped me hoping for one. I remember one year, Valentine's day fell on a Saturday. I didn't get a card so I thought "maybe it'll come on Monday" (deluded). Of course it didn't.

When I was 16 and 17 I worked for Millets in Blackburn and remember receiving roses and cards from various admirers, including one boy who was so infatuated he turned a bit weird and I eventually had to leave work via the delivery bays to avoid him.

All relationships I was in never coincided with Valentine's day (too short-lived LOL), until I met my husband. That first year he sent me red roses and a Love Album CD; I didn't think to buy him anything until the day before, he ended up with a nice dinner and a Red Devil cuddly toy (which he still has). I still have the roses BTW, I dried them and they are in a box in my wardrobe.

Ever since then we've not done Valentine's. I think if you need one day in a year to show you love someone then you need help. I love random displays of affection! My husband (in the early days of our relationship) worked his way through the Interflora catalogue, but spontaneously. I remember coming home from a holiday to find a bouquet from him (and my mum in tears at the gesture!).

So I say, don't wait for one day in a year to come round. Take your partner out randomly. Bring flowers home one day. Cook a nice meal. Buy wine and watch a film together. Don't wait for a cold day in February.

Right, lecture over, I'm off to bake a cake in the shape of a heart and make my hair look nice...

2 comments:

  1. glad i am not that boy at school......how bad must he feel now, ruined valentines day for you for ever!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha ;) Poor guy, I probably runied it for him too.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...