Thursday, 22 March 2012

Carrot cupcakes

I've been a right moody old arse today, premenstrual probably. Anyway, baking cakes always makes me feel better, and reading on Twitter that my mum was preparing a carrot cake, I decided I'd make one too once N got home from school.

I searched BBC Good Food website for carrot cake recipes and came up with two: one for Yummy Scrummy Carrot cake, which I've made before for a Church bake sale, and Carrot and Cream Cheese Cupcakes, which I quite fancied because cupcakes cook quickly.

So I made my own recipe from these two. Here it is.






Carrot (, sultana) and orange muffins (makes 12)

Preheat your oven to 160 degrees for a fan oven and 180 if you have an electric all-points-blazing one. Dunno about gas, probably 4.

175 g light soft brown sugar
175 g self-raising flour
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 tsp mixed spice
zest of 1 large orange
200 g carrots, grated finely

Stir these dry(ish) ingredients together, carefully, as if you were caressing a small baby.

3 large eggs
175 ml sunflower oil
1 tbsp juice from the orange

Whisk these wet ingredients together and add to the dry(er) bowl. Combine gently yet with passion (think of bounding lambs and fields of daffodils, or something).

Put half the mix into 6 muffin cases. Add a few handfuls of sultanas to the mix. These remaining muffins are for the non-fussy family members who don't mind dried fruit in a cake.

Bake in the oven for about 25 minutes, check after 20, you just never know. You might need to leave for 30 mins, that would be bad luck.

Add a topping such as orange icing (icing sugar and orange juice), or an orange buttercream (icing sugar, orange juice, and butter). Don't spoil them with cream cheese, that's for filling celery or spreading on Ryvita.

Enjoy! With a cup of tea.

I had a sultana one, because I'm not a fruitphobe


1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...