Saturday, 5 May 2012

Oat and lemon cookies

This afternoon I've been experimenting in the kitchen. I wanted to make some dairy-free biscuits so the kids could give some to their friend who's allergic to cows' milk. I searched online and found a recipe for Oat and coconut cookies. Being impatient and not wanting to venture to the shops for dessicated coconut, I decided to adapt the recipe and make them into Oat and lemon cookies.

After the first attempt we had these! They actually tasted OK, despite looking like very thin flapjacks.

Yum...
 Second time lucky (actually, the third time!), and we had this recipe:

Oat and lemon cookies

250 g plain flour
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda (slightly heaped)
0.75 tsp salt (just under level)
200 g granulated sugar
150 g soft brown sugar
200 g porridge oats (I probably used 220 g in the end, keep adding until you can make balls from the mixture)
juice and zest of 1 lemon
175 ml vegetable oil
2 eggs
ground ginger (I added 1 tsp but can't taste it, so probably need 2 or more)

Stir together the flour, sugars, bicarb of soda, salt, oats, ginger, and lemon zest. Make a well in the centre and add the oil, lemon juice, and eggs. Mix together and form into a dough. Break off small (walnut size) pieces and roll into balls, place on a greased tray and press down slightly with a fork or your fingers. Leave a good gap between each ball because the cookies will spread a lot.

Bake for 15 minutes at 180C (that's the time and temp I eventually settled on for my fan oven. You might need to adjust).


Before baking

The finished cookies :)

They taste "OK" (they need more ginger for my tastes), my kids love them, the husband has snaffled several of the more experimental ones. Hope my friend and her family like them now!

Any other taste testers are very welcome to pop round for a cuppa :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...