Thursday, 21 June 2012

Preston Guild Marathon: weeks one and two training

Earlier this year I'd started thinking to myself that I'd like to run a marathon, just to do it once and say I had. I'm a bit mental like that. Probably didn't help that a lot of my running pals were in training for the Virgin London Marathon at the time!

I decided I would have to run a marathon in autumn so I could fit in long-run training during the light summer mornings and evenings. I searched online for events in September, October, and November, and finally found a link to Preston Guild Marathon. It's fairly special because the Guild is only on every 20 years. Another bonus is that it is close to my family, so I'll have a place to stay before and recover after.

My winter and spring season of races ended on Friday with Marston Forest 5K, and I'd always said to myself that marathon training would begin on Monday proper. I'm already trained up to half marathon standard, and I have run up to 15 miles in the past month, so I'm starting my training at about 10 miles and building up from there. With a lot of 5K runs completed in the past month, I'm also keen to continue with speedwork, because this will help me improve further.

Week one looks like this:

Monday: 4 miles speedwork (I actually did a fartlek run, which is a run of varying speeds)
Tuesday: 6 miles "easy" (I ran with my fast friend Ralph, so this turned into another speed session, getting progressively faster with each mile)
Wednesday: X-training (circuit training)
Thursday: 4-5 miles "easy". It's Club night, so this run will break down into a 2+ mile run-walk session followed by an easy 3-5 mile run, depending on who I need to run with.
Friday: REST!
Saturday: 4-5 miles easy
Sunday: 10 miles easy

Week two

Monday: X-training (circuits)
Tuesday: Club night, hoping to make a run with the club tonight, 3-5 miles easy
Wednesday: 4 miles speedwork (whatever I fancy!)
Thursday: Club night, total 5-8 miles easy
Friday: REST
Saturday: 3-5 miles
Sunday: 11 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...