Tuesday, 17 July 2012

Preston Guild Marathon: weeks 3, 4, and 5 training

I'm now on week 5 of marathon training. Looking back to week 2, I fell ill with cholecystitis at the beginning of the week, so that first weekend's long run didn't happen. I made up for it with a 13 miler in week 2, but it was not great at all (I ran the afternoon after a party and took no water, very bad of me). Two of my planned midweek runs didn't happen either. Oh well.

Week 3 (July 2-8)
Tuesday: 6.5 miles (2.5 miles easy and 4 miles tempo)
Wednesday: circuit training
Thursday: 8 miles (2 miles run-walk and 6 miles fast-paced)

The 6 mile run was complicated by abdominal issues again, this time I disagreed with a carbohydrate drink I'd had before I set off. If you are running for longer than an hour you need to take some form of sports drink or gel to replace energy you've used. It's a good idea to try out drinks and foods to find the one that suits you. I've used gels and beans before. I don't suit drinks, that's fine though! Now I know.

Friday: 4 miles easy
Sunday: 15 miles

On Sunday I ran at 3 pm, not the usual time of day I run. Plus, I'd worked out I had to be home in 2.5 hours (for dinner), and that meant running at 10 min/miles. A bit too fast to tackle my first 15 miler. Anyway, I did it but it was painful, especially in my right glut and hamstring. And I was craving ice water with lemon slices when I got to 14 miles.

Week 4 (July 9-15)
Tuesday: 3 miles sprint intervals
Wednesday: circuit training
Thursday: 2 miles + 4 miles, easy paced
Friday: 3.5 miles easy
Saturday: 15 miles

Another crack at 15 miles early on Saturday morning (4:45am!). Much better pace this time, only took me an extra 10 minutes but the slower pace meant I didn't have much discomfort. This run I took lots of water and a small flapjack for energy. I've not eaten Real Food on a run before so this was something I wanted to try. I didn't get indigestion or feel nauseous, so that's a good sign. Still had a niggling pain in my right glut, but a walk and a massage of the sore area at 14 miles helped a lot. This week I was craving digestive biscuits and lucozade original at 14 miles.

Week 5 (July 16-22)
Tuesday: 6 miles easy
Wednesday: circuit training
Thursday: 2 miles easy + 4 miles tempo
Saturday: 8 miles

Cut back week this week so my long run is an "easy" 8 miles. And my fourth run has moved to Monday in week 6 (6 miles easy) to fit in around family events. So week 6 will be a fun one. Perhaps I'll remember to blog it in advance too!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...