Sunday, 29 July 2012

Preston Guild Marathon: weeks 6, 7, and 8 training

Week 6 (July 23-29)
Monday: 6 miles planned but I missed this run
Tuesday: 7 miles (2 + 5 miles at club). Missed the 5 miler due to feeling unwell
Wednesday: circuit training (did the 5 miler this morning)
Thursday: interval training (actually ran-walked 2.5 miles then ran another 4 at an easy pace)
Saturday: 6 miles (was a very hot day so ran 3 miles instead)
Sunday: 16 miles

I've just finished week 6 by recording my longest ever run so far, 16.5 miles. Safety came to mind today; I kept seeing the same man around Letchworth and I was a bit creeped out. In the end I aborted the route I was going to run (which became fairly secluded at one point) and ran up and down residential streets, in case I needed help. I need to rethink my running routes and strategy for the future, perhaps asking a friend to come along for some of my run, although I doubt many friends will want to get up at 4am to join me!  


The other thing to note about this week is flexibility. I have a plan and I try to stick to it, but I don't beat myself up if I miss a run.


Week 7 (July 30-Aug 5)
Tuesday: 40 minute run
Thursday: 30 minute fartlek
Saturday: 6 miles
Sunday: 16 miles

On my hols this week, so I've not planned runs of a particular distance, just to time. This is to avoid putting pressure on myself to find a 6 mile route, and to stop any family tension, so I can just say "I'm going running, I'll be back in half an hour" and that sounds acceptable!


Week 8 (Aug 6-12)
Monday: circuit training, taking my kids so they can see what I do!
Tuesday: 8 miles club run. Hopefully with the club but might run early for work and family reasons
Wednesday: circuit training
Thursday: some sort of speedwork or tempo session
Saturday: 8 miles
Sunday: 17 miles

I'm trying to follow a principle I read on Hal Higdon's marathon training guide about running half your long run the day before so your long run is on tired legs, to simulate marathon conditions. It frankly sounds terrifying, so I might make Saturday's run a fastish 4 instead!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...