Monday, 13 August 2012

Preston Guild Marathon: weeks 9, 10, and 11 training

Looking back at my plans for weeks 6-8, I did both the runs while I was camping, and my mother-in-law even went for a run while we were there. It's all the rage don't you know?! Last week I made club on both days and ran 7 miles (2+5) at each session. The intermediate sessions both turned into 5-mile tempo runs, some good speedwork but I was so tired after! So on Saturday I decided to run 4 miles rather than the 8 I had planned. The 17 miler on Sunday was broken up into 7 miles with Pete from club and then 10 miles with my friend Scott (another club member). The pace was slightly faster than previous long runs, which gives me some hope of running the marathon faster than I am in training.

I went through my marathon training plan this morning (12 weeks to go!) and revised it, adding in detail about the types of runs I want to be doing each day and the routes. I've been thinking about my training a lot during the Olympics, our Gold Medal rush was very inspiring! I definitely want to increase the cross-training I do because it's fairly evident from photos of our athletes that one of the keys to success is a strong core.

This is where I insert a gratuitous photo of Jess Ennis and her abs.

Courtesy of http://bit.ly/P79chx

So anyway, the next few weeks. This week is "cutback week" since I've had 3 consecutive weeks of long runs now (16.5, 16, and 17).

Week 9 (Aug 13-19)
Monday: Rest (I AM RESTING!) Might do some ab work later.
Tuesday: 2 miles with beginners group at running club then 4-6 miles with the intermediates later.
Wednesday: Circuits
Thursday: Rest
Friday: 30 minute run, including hill sprints
Saturday: 45 minute run
Sunday: Rest

Week 10 (Aug 20-26)
Monday: 7 miles.
Tuesday: 2 miles with beginners group at running club then 4-6 miles with the intermediates later.
Wednesday: Interval session
Thursday: 2 miles with beginners then 4-6 miles with intermediates.
Friday: Rest day
Saturday: 7 miles, running fast up the hills
Sunday: 17 miles (my "plan" says 13 of these should be at race pace, I'll revisit this nearer the day!)

Week 11 (Aug 27-Sept 2)
Monday: Rest
Tuesday: Rest
Wednesday: 30 minute run
Thursday: Rest
Friday: 40 minute run, including hill sprints
Saturday: 4 mile tempo run
Sunday: 18 miles

1 comment:

  1. your best work yet!!......not read anything though

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...