Thursday, 10 January 2013

Janathon: day 10

I'm not only doing Janathon, I'm also (unofficially) doing Dryathlon (my pedantic nature insists this should be dryathon, if you're puntastically using the -athon ending from marathon).

So, I'm not drinking any alcohol during January at all (excluding the brandy-infused Christmas cake that I'm desperately trying to finish/eking out so it lasts all January). With this in mind, I thought by now that I would've noticed some difference in myself. For example:
  • I wouldn't feel like crap in the morning (I'm not really a morning person/I like to complain)
  • My skin would look healthier (it does, but that could also be because I'm using all my Christmas body lotions in one go)
  • I'd be full of energy (possibly Janathon contributing to the lack of energy)
  • I'd weigh less (I've GAINED weight!!).
So I'm feeling a bit miffed if I'm honest. And yesterday I decided to look at ALL the wine we have in the cupboard that's left over from Christmas (there's a lot), and the two bottles of whisky I got for Christmas, and all the port, and that homemade booze my mum made for me. I resisted the urge to sniff everything to satisfy myself.

OK, in truth, I'm not missing the alcohol, at all. It's an odd feeling. I'm now used to sticking the kettle on for a cuppa in the evening instead of reaching for the bottle opener. I've got used to the taste of faintly flavoured water (it's "OK"). But why am I not losing weight? Damn you fat! (Oh no wait, that'll be the Christmas cake...)

Back to Janathon, tonight was Stotfold Runners club night, yay back to the runs! Beginners was at 7pm followed by intermediates at 7:30pm. I'm a volunteer helper at the club so I help lead one of the groups and provide advice when needed. I ran 2.46 miles (0.3 miles was me running to club) at 11 min/mile with a Twitter friend who I'd met once before I think. Anyway, that was just great, and I had a chat at the end with a couple who'd brought their son along in a buggy with super-huge wheels designed for running. Wow, I really wish I'd been running when I had my babies.

The next group run was a fast 4.02 miles (average 8:30 min/mile). I purposely set off with a faster group to ensure I pushed myself and ran a good tempo run. It's a great training tip for those of you who want to get faster. We were all running fairly slowly until we reached a hill and one of the runners sped off. I decided to join him, and that spurred a bit of a charge! Everyone loves a competition. I was planning 5 miles but decided to make it 4 since I was a bit knackered after all that!

During the day I did an abdominal strength routine of 50 ab curls, 20 reverse crunches, 30 bicycle curls, 15 back extensions, and a plank (1 minute). My aim from now on is to do this routine 3 times a week, increasing the number of each exercise as I get better.

Distance: 6.48 miles
Time taken: 1 hour and 4 minutes
Other stuff: Abdominal exercises (untimed)
Total distance run during Janathon: 31.53 miles
Total time spent on Janathon: 8 hours and 16 minutes

10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. The husband ate all the cake. Hooray for him!

      Delete
  2. Nothing good will come of this, mark my words Sarah! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. James, Ric says he's going to force me to drink wine at the weekend.

      Delete
  3. Well done...I haven't lost any weight either...but I haven't given up the wine yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband is wavering. I'm sure he'll be drinking wine tomorrow night. Testing times!

      Delete
  4. The homemade 'booze' allegedly improves with keeping. So you don't have to drink it yet, that's something to look forward to when you've finished all these manyathalons! Love Mum xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to it! Don't forget to email the rhubarb vodka recipe please x

      Delete
  5. Hold on, I thought dryathlon was a pun-tastic sound-alike wordplay on triathlon?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someone else said this. The dictionary has -athon as a suffix (see the hyperlink) meaning (basically) a long drawn-out contest to extract money (ha!), whereas -athlon has no meaning. But in Greek it means contest. I think we're both correct...

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...