Monday, 21 January 2013

Janathon: day 20

A long run of 9 miles was on the training plan for today. In view of the snow and ice I thought a trip into Letchworth and back might be safest so I could run on the roads. But after a lengthy discussion on Facebook with some club members who were also running, I decided to meet them for a 6-7 mile off-road run, and I would then make the extra mileage up afterwards.

We met at 7:15am, all slightly bleary eyed and wondering what we'd agreed to! (I'd already run a mile as warm up, to make some in-roads into my 9 mile total.) We decided to run up to Langford water tower, through Langford, along the Kingfisher Way to Henlow Lakes, then home. The route is across fields mainly, but would be fun in the snow (we thought).

The path was OK to begin with, but as we headed up the hill to Langford the snow started to get deeper. Eventually we were running in at least a foot of snow, perhaps two. The drifts were huge against the hedge at the top of the hill. I got the giggles a bit because it was so deep and I had to jump to get over the snow.

Once we hit the road we were much faster and managed a fast 9.5 min mile into the village. We then turned onto the Kingfisher Way, which was OK up until an ice lake filled our path. I tried the option of going through the field rather than the lake, but I just sank into mud, so we tried skirting the edge by the hedge. I gave up and decided it would be quicker to just wade through. I then had two cold wet feet to run with, but I wasn't worried about getting a branch in my face.

Part of our route


As we ran along the road to Henlow Lakes, which runs past the Champneys spa, the road became very icy and slippery, and there were a few stylish slip-and-save moments, and one instance of "inspecting a rare ant", but no casualties, which was a good thing.

The last part of the run, we decided to "learn the route" behind Etonbury school. I've never run this path, and it was really lovely. Except it added about a mile onto our run and I turned my ankle at least three times. Some swearing took place.

At the end, we'd run 8.5 miles. Some 6-7 mile route that turned out to be! Another half a mile to run home and I'd run 10 miles! Next week I'm running to Letchworth and back...



Distance run: 10.03 miles
Time taken: 1 hour and 54 minutes
Total distance run during Janathon: 69.29 miles
Total time spent on Janathon: 15 hours and 57 minutes





4 comments:

  1. Crackin' run,going to cost you a fortune in socks :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yes it is. I need some goretex ones I reckon :)

      Delete
  2. I am seriously impressed :) I wrote a blog post about my new half marathon mission and you got a mention :) It's scheduled for Tues if you want to take a look x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lauren, I'll remember to look tomorrow x

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...