Sunday, 27 January 2013

Janathon: day 27

10 mile run before 8am, that can only mean one thing: an early morning alarm call.



I set my alarm for 5am to give myself time to wake up before I left to meet some friends at 6am. At 5am it was pouring with rain. My bed was warm and I didn't want to get up at all. I also didn't feel great, I won't go into detail. Needless to say I'd have preferred to run 10 miles in the afternoon...

Anyway, I'd already planned what gear to wear but in view of the heavy rain I decided to wear my waterproof jacket with a thermal top instead of a long-sleeve running top. I get a bit grumpy and miserable if I get too wet, and on long runs (when I run at a slow pace) I get cold easily too.

Set off to meet my friends at 5:50am, 11 of us in total were running. Stotfold Runners are an amazing group of people, very supportive of each other and such fun to run with. Had the obligatory group photo (we looked like extras from Tron) and then set off to Letchworth.

Our original plan had been to run an off-road route around Ashwell village, but after a whole night of heavy rain we thought the route would be too muddy. So we ran on the roads to Letchworth, along part of the Greenway, towards Baldock, and back home. Nice pace all the way, averaging 10.5 minutes per mile. Stopped a few times to regroup and check the route (and moan a bit).

Last few miles were quite hard for me. I have gastritis again (can affect runners in particular), suffice to say I started to struggle massively. My friend was just brilliant, we were chatting and got a bit hysterical too; I sang a song to her at one point (see clips, we couldn't remember how Happy Working Song started, but my friend sang that during a 10K race once). We also saw a huge bird ("it's a "pterodactyl!" [probably a heron]).



Didn't quite make 10 miles so I did that crazy run up and down my road until my watch clicked over.

Distance run: 10 miles
Time taken: 1 hour 49 minutes
Total distance run during Janathon: 92.90 miles
Total time spent on Janathon: 21 hours and 32 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...