Thursday, 31 January 2013

Janathon: day 31, over and out

The last day of Janathon was possibly my best run session this month. Intervals! (I secretly love intervals.)

I joined our beginners group for short sprint intervals at a local underpass; we sprint fast up the hills and recover on the way back down. Because I was also going to be at the later intermediate session, I didn't take part in the session fully. I was "bike spotter" and enthusiastic supporter. I did run a couple of sprints as a way of encouragement and to give the beginners someone to chase.

At the intermediate session we headed to a local road that is fairly flat and well lit for some 400 m intervals. After a short warm up we alternated sprint/jog recoveries of 400 m, I managed 4 sprints before my body decided I'd had quite enough thank you. Splits of 1:33, 1:29, 1:25, and 1:25 are all around 6 min/mile pace.

Total distance run: 6.39 miles
Time taken: 1 hour and 20 minutes
Total distance run during Janathon: 101.56 miles
Total time spent on Janathon: 25 hours and 13 minutes

I'm so pleased that I managed to run 100 miles this month, and I've spent a whole day on Janathon!. I'm now having 2 days full rest before my half marathon training kicks in again with an 11-miler on Sunday.

If you want to know what I'm doing in February, you can find out here.


5 comments:

  1. I love that you love intervals, but I need to know your secret!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have to just embrace that short period of speed and pain knowing that soon it'll be over and you can relax :) (for a short time at least)

      Delete
  2. :) well done!! Great last day of Janathon...I find intervals so hard and try to avoid them.

    Good luck with the training...I've also got a half marathon to do

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. One more long run after this weekend, then a rest week, then it's the race. Can't wait for it all to be over. Why do we do this to ourselves?!

      Delete
  3. Fantastic mileage and good luck with your race.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...