Zesty lemon buns
125 g granulated sugar (or caster sugar, if you're organised and remember to buy it)
125 g reduced fat butter spread (I used an olive spread for these, works fine; you can use unsalted butter if you prefer)
zest of 2 lemons
125 g self-raising flour, sifted
2 tbsp lemon juice (I use the juice from one of the zested lemons, slightly more than 2 tbsp)
- Preheat your oven to 180C (160C for a fan oven).
- Cream the sugar, butter, and lemon zest together until light and fluffy.
- Beat the eggs and add to the mixture gradually, with a tablespoonful of the measured flour (to avoid curdling).
- Fold in the rest of the sifted flour and then add the lemon juice (the mixture goes foamy, almost like a mousse, at this stage).
- Spoon the mixture into bun cases. The recipe says makes 12 but I got 20 from the mixture. (Why make 12 massive cakes when you can share the joy further and make 20 small buns?)
- Cook in the oven for 18-20 minutes (check them after 18 minutes).
- Allow to cool on a wire rack, then ice them with lemon glacé icing.
Lemon glacé icing
185 g icing sugar
2 tbsp lemon juice
- Sift the icing sugar into a bowl and gently stir in the lemon juice. You might need more lemon juice (you could use the juice from the other zested lemon but I like my icing smooth, without lumps of lemon pulp).
- Blob a spoonful of icing onto each bun and leave to set for about an hour (if you can wait that long).
Voilà! Check out my zesty buns.
|I ate the one without icing :(|