Thursday 5 September 2019

Always thinking about my dinner

R is out with work this evening (another leaving do). I've had to cancel my plans to play netball with my friends so I can take C to Explorers. I could abandon the boy and make him walk there but it starts to go dark at 8 pm now and he probably wouldn't go if I wasn't there to make him. Instead, I went for another hateful run before dinner.

Pondering again why I put myself through something I don't enjoy, but I am thinking of that cat we (me and the kids) want, and the more important fact that I am obese and need to become less obese and more healthy, so I went out and ran for a bit. I decided to see if I could actually run 1 mile without stopping for a walk. I can be very stubborn so I managed this with a bit of mind games with myself. It helps that I know exactly how far a mile is from my house and that I run a short loop, which means I am heading home again quite soon after leaving. The mile was completed in 10 minutes, which is good I guess, except for the chest pain and wheezing afterwards. I had a few minutes walk to recover, then decided to have another go at another mile. Except, as I ran past the end of my road, I remembered about my dinner waiting for me, so I lost focus and stopped for another walk. I shouldn't make myself tasty dinners before going for a run. But, I completed 2.78 miles in total (walking and running), then went home and scoffed pasta and ragu and felt amazing.

Of course now I want to go for another run to work off the pasta, but that's not happening tonight.

I had a little success today in my quest to stalk Richard Herring, a comedian who became famous in the 90s. I am sure everyone knows who he is since I did and I cannot remember plots of films I saw last week. Anyway, my quest began a few months ago when R and I saw him at a local parkrun (both turning simultaneously to look at each other and mouth "we know him"). It's not our usual parkrun so we didn't know if it was his first time or if he was a regular, or if he lived nearby or was "just visiting". After a bit of googling and stalking of the race results we discovered it was indeed his first time running and that he lives locally. R---who came second in the parkrun because he is fast and annoying---tweeted Richard some congratulations and received a cheerful reply back, which made me determined to somehow achieve this greatness also. Since then I have read his blog, Warming Up, every day (he has blogged daily for 15 years) and he has inspired my return to daily blogging too (5 days in a row; I will not break any records).

Anyway, today Richard posted on Facebook that his show had been voted the number 1 show at the Edinburgh Fringe this year, to which I replied with congratulations but that the article had stated the list was subjective and in no particular order. Of course he replied to my cheeky comment and I now feel slightly more famous than I was this morning---and, more importantly, back on an equal footing with R. I am determined we shall all become great running friends. I just need to do a bit more stalking of social media and maybe crack this running thing again so I can compete at parkrun instead of giving up and walking to the finish, while thinking about breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...