Friday 13 September 2019

The Great Model Railway Challenge

When I was growing up, some weekends were spent visiting model railway exhibitions around the north of England. My dad was massively into trains and model railways. He had plans for a model railway around the garden, and made renovations in the attic space for an indoor model railway. We just liked playing with the trains, but dad was quite serious about it. I remember one Saturday dad went off to see some chap who lived in Abbey Village in Lancashire, who had a model railway in his garden. Me and my sister went along too, and spent the whole time on one of those push and pull engines going up and down the garden.

There's a new series just started on Channel 5 called The Great Model Railway Challenge. It came on after the cricket highlights and, thinking no member of my family would want to watch the programme, I scrambled to find the remote to switch over. But no, R wanted to actually watch the programme, so now here I am reliving my childhood. I sent my dad a message to let him know the programme was on, and he's decamped to the kitchen to watch on his own, while mum gets the comfy sofa for Gardeners' World. The best part of the whole programme is that one of the team comprises biochemists: they are the most glamorous team! If you want some alternative uses for hair gel and love a geek, this programme is for you.

Our garden furniture finally arrived today, the new garden room is complete at last. Fortunately tomorrow is set to be great weather so we can get outside and make the most of it. I spent a fair proportion of my afternoon putting the set together, so worked late into the evening on said furniture wrapped in a blanket. I love working outside! I will be out in the garden all next week if weather permits.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...